Recommendations for BBB BMX Racer

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Recommendations for BBB BMX Racer

Postby blammo585 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 am

hexen, a guy about 3 hours from me posted a Xenia on Craigslist. I emailed him asking if he'd take $130 for it and he replied that he would. I don't need it since I have my 24" but it was mighty tempting.
blammo585

Postby garybbentley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am

id love to get the xenia
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Postby garybbentley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:48 pm

my closest local track is about a 45 min drive. they race every saturday and practice every tuesday and thursday. what is so awesome is they have bike rentals for $4 and helmets are free to borrow. Im gonna try to do that this weekend and see how i like it.
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Postby mongo613 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 am

Im joining my local bmx race club to race in the cruiser class this summer. Will be my first time racing, im 27, ive spent alot of time in the past on my local track just having fun. I ordered that new mongoose 26" dirt jump from walmart, i made a thread about it in 26er bikes. Its comparable to the DK but with more of a jumping style geometry. Going to put a marz DJ fork on it, hope i dont get hated on at the track for running suspension lol.
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
Mongoose DJ682 26" Dirt Jumper
Feel free to PM me with any questions on these BBB
mongo613

Postby blammo585 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 pm

I don't see much difference in the geometry of the Mongoose or DK bikes. The biggest difference I see is the V-brake vs. disc brake and the frame material. Just curious if you plan to change the bars to BMX style bars or keep the MTB style bars? I saw a lot of the guys on bmxmuseum who had the Xenia changed the bars.

You might catch some kidding for running a suspension fork on the track but I've thought of doing it myself to help compensate for the mistakes I'm likely to make. But I have a friend who's been racing cruiser and he sometimes uses his bike with front suspension.
blammo585

Postby mongo613 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 am

Not to concerned on the brakes, i think ill like the vbrake....The alu frame is another story...im use to a steal frame...The mongo looks like a steal frame I know It says reinforced alu but ive learned not to trust walmarts descriptions. Im sure the Xenia is worth the extra 80$ (more then half of what the mongo is worth lol). I'm being the test dumby for this bike as its new to walmart and theres no reviews anywhere for it. I'll be keeping the MTN handlebars IMO bmx bars do not belong on a 26" bike, on something like the 24" general lee a mini BMX bar works, IMO though its just added weight and looks goofy/ratt'ish on a 26".
I'll update my orignal post in the 26" section after i get the mongo and build it tonight!
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
Mongoose DJ682 26" Dirt Jumper
Feel free to PM me with any questions on these BBB
mongo613

Previous

Return to BMX Bikes