MCS Magnum pro cruiser

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

MCS Magnum pro cruiser

Postby zippyzap » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 pm

I've had this bike in stock form for several years, but inspired by my recent DK Cleveland purchase, I've put a bit of thought and parts into my older bike.

Don't remember exactly when I got this bike, but may have been around 4-5 years ago. And no, not a big box bike like the Cleveland, but I did get a good deal on it. This was back when Microsoft was doing Bing cashback, and I think I picked it up from eBay for around $300-350 shipped thereabouts after cashback. Not bad for essentially a $500-ish bike.

2014 MCS Magnum cruiser

I like mine better than the current model. Besides the color, the handlebars seem a more traditional height and the cranks are the tubular chromo style. Even better, 180mm crank arms versus current 175mm. Looks like the frame is a bit different too with a hydroformed top tube and box section chainstays.

Here's my bike in original form.

mcs_orig.jpg
mcs_orig.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 815 times

Here it is after some changes. I removed all reflectors and chain guard, which saved 157g (yes I weighed it). I also replaced the original seat post with a longer and lighter one. Original was around 320mm long and weighed 351g. Replacement is carbon fiber (maybe?) that I bought on eBay for $30 shipped, and which weighs 193g for 400mm length. Total weight saved was 315g or approximately 0.7 pounds. More importantly, seat is higher. I mostly use this bike to tool around the neighborhood, so being able to comfortably sit while pedaling was one goal. There was also a 450mm long alloy post available, but I figured that 400mm was enough, and the weight savings was interesting to me. The minimalistic clamp on the new seat post was a huge pain to work with. Just for this reason, I would think twice before buying another.

mcs_2.jpg
mcs_2.jpg (148.93 KiB) Viewed 815 times

In both pictures, the seat is at maximum height.
zippyzap

Re: MCS Magnum pro cruiser

Postby BIGDCYCLES » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:28 am

Tall seat action! Got an old school look going for it now.
Mongoose Deception 29er, Triace AL 2.1 26", Vintage SS Conversion 27", Schwinn Criss Cross Mixte 26", Mongoose X-COM 700c (Project Xtreme Commuter)
BMX: 1998 Royce Union Vert X, 2000 Mosh Method, 2006 Redline Romp, 2007 Diamondback Joker
BIGDCYCLES

Postby blammo585 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Are you hunched over? The seat post is way higher than the bars.
blammo585

Postby zippyzap » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:18 am

I don't know when I became such a weight weenie, but there ya have it. I actually measured (down to the gram) the weight of everything I put on and took off the bike. I also took off the wheel reflectors, because I haven't ridden at night in who knows how long. I also swapped out the seat.
mcs_orgseat.jpg
mcs_orgseat.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 787 times

All reflectors (including wheel) and chainguard add up to 192g.
Seat post saved 158g. Original was 351g and the carbon replacement was 193g.
Seat saved 155g. Original was 350g and the Tioga Spyder knockoff was 195g.
Total weight savings 505g, or just over 1.1 pounds.

Here is how it looks now. blammo, it was just the angle. I tried to keep the camera level with the seat, and perpendicular to the bike (at an angle against wall) for this picture. The seat is almost exactly the same height as the grips, and the post is at maximum extension. It isn't any worse than my old school cross country mountain bike, which has a really stretched out riding position.

mcsnow.jpg
mcsnow.jpg (194.07 KiB) Viewed 787 times

I got a seat post for my DK Cleveland too, but I haven't touched that yet. Yesterday we got our first snow of the season, so I won't be using the bikes as much - unless I pick up some fat tire model (3"-4" wide tires).
zippyzap

Return to BMX Bikes