DK Cleveland

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: DK Cleveland

Postby blammo585 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:07 pm

More riders seem to be using plastic pedals than it used to be. In my day the pros and experts used alloy platform pedals. The Odyssey Twisted pedals are plastic, popular, and cheap. I would try loosening the stem and compression bolt, push down on the stem to make sure it's good and tight against the headset, then tighten the compression bolt back, and then tighten the stem bolts. See if that takes out any play or flex in the headset.
blammo585

Postby zippyzap » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks for the tip on the headset. I took it apart once and... couldn't find any bearings. :shock: I didn't disassemble down to the individual pieces, but did pull the top part completely off and pulled the forks almost all the way out. There seemed to be just these lubricated plastic rings in place of bearings. Not sure what order I did the tightening, so I'll try the compression bolt first.

I guess the plastic pedals aren't that bad, if it weren't for the bearings in it. Seriously, trying to spin the pedals and it won't even go one rotation.
zippyzap

Postby blammo585 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:58 pm

zippyzap wrote:Thanks for the tip on the headset. I took it apart once and... couldn't find any bearings. :shock: I didn't disassemble down to the individual pieces, but did pull the top part completely off and pulled the forks almost all the way out. There seemed to be just these lubricated plastic rings in place of bearings. Not sure what order I did the tightening, so I'll try the compression bolt first.

I guess the plastic pedals aren't that bad, if it weren't for the bearings in it. Seriously, trying to spin the pedals and it won't even go one rotation.

If you tighten the stem bolts before the compression bolt then the compression bolt can't do its job since it can't push down on the stem.
blammo585

Postby zippyzap » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 pm

20" DK Cleveland Boys' BMX Bike
Now $121.44 at Walmart, with free shipping (and 5% cashback from Shop Discover).

I paid too much at $159.99. :o
zippyzap

Postby zippyzap » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Bike sold out at $120. Who knows if it will be available in the future.

blammo585, I tried your tip on the headset and it seemed to work, so thanks, buddy!

A new "problem" has come up. The grips rotate on the handlebars. Maybe I just yank too hard? :lol:
zippyzap

Postby zippyzap » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 pm

The DK Cleveland appears to be back at Walmart.com for $130.

I finally got in a replacement seat post, purchased for around $10 shipped (from Asia somewhere) on eBay. The original stubby seat post put the seat around the height of the top of the stem. The new post is 350mm x 25.4mm and puts the seat around the height of the handlebar cross bar, making for a much more comfortable cruising-around-town bike. I also swapped out the narrow seat with the more comfortable one from my [url=
The attachment dk_old.jpg is no longer available

]MCS Magnum pro cruiser[/url].
dk_new.jpg
dk_new.jpg (136.22 KiB) Viewed 873 times

The old seat, clamp and stubby post weigh 490g.
The replacement seat, post/clamp weigh 645g.
This gives it a net weight gain of 155g.
Of course the other gains of seat height and comfort will hopefully outweigh (heh) the weight gain.

The original post was super light, at 87g. I did not weigh original seat alone (left it on clamp) but it felt pretty unsubstantial too. The steel clamp, however, seemed pretty heavy.

The replacement post seemed heavy, but it also feels really beefy and indestructible. The MCS seat is also pretty substantial. The replacement post was tough to get in the frame. I had to twist it down into the seat tube, wincing as bits of black dust came out. Probably all scuffed up, but then again it was only $10.

After snowing on Friday, it is now 50°F and sunny, so time for a bike ride!
zippyzap

Postby BIGDCYCLES » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:58 am

Next time you install a post a little dab of anti seize does wonders, keeps the seat post from seizing in the seat tube down the road too.
Mongoose Deception 29er, Triace AL 2.1 26", Vintage SS Conversion 27", Schwinn Criss Cross Mixte 26", Mongoose X-COM 700c (Project Xtreme Commuter)
BMX: 1998 Royce Union Vert X, 2000 Mosh Method, 2006 Redline Romp, 2007 Diamondback Joker
BIGDCYCLES

Postby blammo585 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:04 pm

I just noticed your comment about the grips spinning. Are they still doing that? One tip they used to give out in BMX Plus was to spray hair spray inside the grip. I always tried to do without anything though in case I wanted to take the grips off later. I think they also make some stuff called grip glue. Just make sure your bars are clean and the grips are clean inside.
blammo585

Previous

Return to BMX Bikes