GMC Denali (Kent Bicycles)

Road bikes sold by bygbox stores.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

GMC Denali (Kent Bicycles)

Postby moron101 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 am

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to share my frustration and pick the brains of others to help my through surviving my Big Box bike ordeal. The story begins like this:

Last spring, I wanted to purchase a "rain" bike for my commute and decided that the GMC Denali from Walmart was the right bike price ($169). It had all the requisites: 700c wheels and not a fixie (got hills baby, big hills). 2 days into my ownership, I crashed into a tourist who veered into me by the Intrepid (I ride in NYC to NJ for my commute). The front wheel looks like a pretzel and the fork was bent backwards like it was trying to kiss the BB (bottom bracket). I'm ok but got a scar on my forehead to remember it by -- thank you for asking. ;-)

This event precipitated the beginning of my mods on my big box bike. I replaced the front fork, 100mm hub front wheel, new handle bars, new stems, new crankset (the original came slightly bent), new front and rear derailleur (original sucked at shifting), new shifters, new headset and lighter seatpost and saddle. This made my bike super! Nothing like it was before. Then I realized the BB wasn't as smooth as it could be, so I replaced it as well. Now it weighs a mere 19 lbs with a back rack and fenders! lol

Then last Friday, riding to work, banking deep into a fast sweeper -- I hit a pebble. Heard a "sproing". Coming out of the turn, I realized something was wrong. When I looked down, I saw my rear wheel wobbling bad. Turns out I broke 3 spokes during my encounter w/ the pebble.

So my question is this: What is the hub spacing on my rear? Is it 135mm? I'm looking to replace my wheel. No point relacing factory el cheapo wheel. Anybody? Many thx in advance.

p/s I also wouldn't mind if you share your experiences with me of your GMC Denali -- mods or otherwise. Thx!
moron101

Re: GMC Denali (Kent Bicycles)

Postby moron101 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:09 am

Ok, I invested in an electronic caliper and confirmed that the rear frame spacing is indeed 135mm. So for all of you out there looking to mod your Kent Bicycle GMC Denali bike, your rear hub spacing is 135mm.

Btw, I used a 130mm hub instead with 1mm spacer on each side. The squeeze wasn't too bad and it appears to be working out just fine. Thought I share what I know / have done.

Best,
Richard
moron101

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 am

moron101 wrote:Ok, I invested in an electronic caliper and confirmed that the rear frame spacing is indeed 135mm. So for all of you out there looking to mod your Kent Bicycle GMC Denali bike, your rear hub spacing is 135mm.

Btw, I used a 130mm hub instead with 1mm spacer on each side. The squeeze wasn't too bad and it appears to be working out just fine. Thought I share what I know / have done.

Best,
Richard

First of all, a belated welcome to the forum.

Several of us "old guys" around here used to be roadies but now not so much. I'm not sure what's changed. 30 years ago there were almost no bikes on the road and zero bike paths (at least anywhere I rode). But the drivers were nothing then like they are now. Sure there was the odd jerk but at least they weren't texting. So I aplaud your nerve to ride a bike and commute from NJ to NYC. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. :P

Glad you got your bike back to shape. I would have answered your first post but I figured someone qualified to do it might be a better choice. No one stepped up but, in the grand tradition of this forum, you not only figured it out but now we know, too. By the way, what tool did you use nd where did you get it? Harbor Freight? (You would not believe how much money I've spent at HF... $79 for cool air/oil bottle jack strong enough to raise our diesel pusher motor home just last weekend.)

Thanks for the post. You might wanna post a pic of the bike. If you do, remember to edit it down to 8" wide before you post it. The new digital cams usualy produce gigantic photos. :)

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Jon_TWR » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Welcome aboard! I live and bike in NYC too, and my bike is a sister to yours (Kent Genesis GS-700, same frame, differrent bars). I've done very little (aka nothing) to it yet, except add some little LED blinky lights to the front and back.

Thanks for your update, pretty sure I have the same size wheels, so that info should come in handy in the future. :)
Jon_TWR

Postby nevershoutchris » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:35 pm

How's the upgraded denali doing?
nevershoutchris

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Yeah man. . Post and update. I wanna see what it looks like.
Falkon45

Postby Renaldow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Yeah, how is this coming along? I've been interested in making a Denali into a commuter type bike.
Renaldow

Postby Brucespruce21 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:33 pm

I'm looking to replace the spokes on my gmc Denali, would you happen to know the length?
Brucespruce21

Postby BicyclePhD » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Brucespruce21 wrote:I'm looking to replace the spokes on my gmc Denali, would you happen to know the length?

Do you know what the model number of your bike is and is it the front wheel or rear wheel?
BicyclePhD

Return to Big Box Road Bikes