GMC Denali Pro build.

Road bikes sold by bygbox stores.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

GMC Denali Pro build.

Postby Falkon45 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Started as a Craigslist add. Edited to reflect my minimalist (ish) build. So far, just track bars and a SRAM compact double crankset. Details further in the thread.
Last edited by Falkon45 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falkon45

Re: I must buy this!!!!

Postby Falkon45 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:41 pm

I got it! The Denali Pro! It's an awesome bike. Worlds better than the normal denali. Lighter wheelset, skinnier tires, microshift 2x8 brifters, microshift rear derailleur, shimano front, better tektro brakes with quick release, aluminum crankset, larger frame, replaceable derailleur hanger, and overall, much lighter. Methinks it comes with a sealed BB already, also.

I still need to take it on a ride, but I changed out the stock bars for the track set I bought a while back. Single speed plans are done for, now. Gonna put this thing to work, and upgrade as needed. Pictures as soon as I start a photo bucket account. All my pics seem to be too big to load on here, nowadays.
Falkon45

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun May 11, 2014 9:28 am

The link has been taken down (naturally) so I didn't get to see the price. Don't know the bike but it sounds awesome. A good road bike is a marvel to ride. Just remember that motor vehicle drivers don't care how good your bike is. :P

Congrats! :)

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Falkon45 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Lol. Thanks! 200 even was what I got it for. Not bad, considering the full microshift brifter set (brifters, and front and rear derailleurs) sold for over 100 on ebay a while back. I'm quite happy with it. Gonna take it on a ride around the neighborhood in a bit, and figure what else I want to sort out or change. At most, a carbonfiber fork, just to upset the bike snobs, and shed some weight.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:09 pm

IMG_20140511_230030.jpg

IMG_20140511_230058.jpg

put my track bars on. The stock bars are going on my roommates Fixie. Not happy about my tape choice, though. But, need to ride on it to be sure it's good.
Falkon45

Postby to the beach » Sun May 11, 2014 9:47 pm

I see a good deal. It is pleasant and nice how you can try a different type of cycling without investing several hundred dollars more. A carbon fork is not far fetched and I've seen some good deals on carbon bars with a built-in stem in EBAY listings from asian locations.
to the beach

Postby Falkon45 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:01 pm

Yeah. I was thinking of just buying a regular denali, and upgrading it off the bat. But this thing is just awesome for the price. I've been looking at carbon forks already, as well as wheelsets. But, coming from mountain bikes, it's pretty light to me. Lighter than my aluminum comp, and a good trainer for the MS150 from Houston to Austin. I can put all the lightweight stuff on for race day, lol.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 am

So, took this out around the neighborhood, today. I seem to have an issue with accessing big rings. Lol. Fist upgrade will be the front derailleur. I can tune it correctly, but I'd like something a bit more efficient. The bike is pretty fast on the small ring, and the track bars feel pretty good. I don't have many options for hand placement, but I'm quite comfortable with my hands on the top of the brake levers. It's a bit twitchy at that point, so it'll be just for relaxing once I get a steady pace. The factory vitesse saddle... isn't uncomfortable, but isn't comfortable. I'll try readjusting it, and try not riding in jeans (just a test ride. Lol). But I have no desire to ever wear bike shorts, so I need to figure that out. Lol.

Pedals may come next. I kinda like the toe straps, but the pedals themselves just don't feel right. Might look into some wellgos, later. Then maybe a crankset.
Falkon45

Postby JazzOne » Mon May 12, 2014 2:19 pm

Falkon45 wrote:Yeah. I was thinking of just buying a regular denali, and upgrading it off the bat. But this thing is just awesome for the price. I've been looking at carbon forks already, as well as wheelsets. But, coming from mountain bikes, it's pretty light to me. Lighter than my aluminum comp, and a good trainer for the MS150 from Houston to Austin. I can put all the lightweight stuff on for race day, lol.

The Houston to Austin ride is a really cool event. I never participated in it, but I wanted to a few years ago. I used to work for an attorney in Houston named Steve Susman. A couple years ago, Susman was the top fund raiser for the Houston to Austin charity ride. The top fund raiser gets to wear a #1 jersey for the ride. Susman was the first guy to wear #1 and complete the entire 3-day ride. I enjoyed working for that guy, and I envy his work ethic.

Let us know how your BBB holds up on the ride!
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby Falkon45 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:32 am

I will! When I interviewed for BP, they told me about the event. Ever since I've been working for them, I've wanted to participate. I want to, even more, now that my best friend's wife has been diagnosed with MS. The last one took place last month. If I am able to ride in the next one, I'll make sure to take plenty of pics, and sneak in a BBB.com sticker or something. Lol.
Falkon45

Next

Return to Big Box Road Bikes