Schwinn Tourist

Road bikes sold by bygbox stores.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Schwinn Tourist

Postby beaple » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Hello! You guys have no idea how happy I am I found this website.

About a week and a half ago, my 16 year old car overheated and caught fire on the extensive uphill portion of my 6.8 mile commute to work.

On a laughably small budget for purchasing a new bike, I hit (with the assistance of my dad's car) Sports Authority, Sport Chalet, Wal-Mart, a bike shop in town, and, finally, Target - where I saw it. A beautiful cherry red and pure white frame, slick looking rims, and - the clincher - a white seat with black and red stripes through the center.

$250+tax later, and I was on my way to work, which meant passing the exact spot where my car had melted the pavement underneath it just hours before. I had called off for the day, but I had to be sure that I could bike the whole 6.8 miles and climb the 1 mile hill at a 5.5% grade the very next day. And 5 days a week after that for the foreseeable future.

Needless to say, it was a success. My previous bike (which was stolen out of my backyard last year) was an old brown Schwinn Varsity with fenders that I bought at a thrift store for $8 whose serial number I dated to 1969, and it weighed a ton. So, riding the light aluminum frame up the hill, while not a breeze, was more than possible.

Just yesterday or the day before, my bike finally tipped the 100 mile mark, and riding that hill (and maybe not knowing how to properly gearshift on hills) 5 days out of the week has already begun to take a toll on the stock components.

I'm new to more serious bike care - the most I ever had to do was 8 miles round trip on level ground, so my primary concerns were flat tires. Now, my brakes keep needing adjusting, the teeth on the largest crankwheel are beginning to show wear, and I fear that this may indicate my chain is stretching (I didn't realize there was a "correct" way to shift, and that certain gears were harder on the bike, so I may have as much to do with my drivetrain beginning to degrade as the quality of the stock parts).

I'm already looking at upgrading the brakes (Shimano Deore LX!), and I was looking into doing the drivetrain components next. My problem is that I'm still on a budget, so I'm trying to treat these like tanks of gas - $50-$60 a week on bike components is acceptable, but dropping $100+ in one week is too much.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions as to which components to replace in what order? For instance, should I worry about the crankwheel or the chain? How much time does my bottom bracket have before I have to walk the bike up the hill and use my beautiful new brakes to coast back down?

The derailleur is Shimano, I think it was just assemble a little crooked by whoever built it at Target, so I'm not too worried about that. The gear shift/brake levers are Shimano, as well.

Any suggestions as to where to go online for parts?

Thanks!
beaple

Re: Schwinn Tourist

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Okay, so the tourist is kind of a cross bike (road bike with mtb parts). The deore brakes wont be that bad, but you can getnaway with pads (kool stops).

Go ahead and change your bottom bracket if you're worried about it, but really, pull them apart, inspect, and regrease every month, and you'll be okay. Tires... make those first on your list. Then upgrade as needed.
Falkon45

Postby beaple » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:15 am

Any chance you know if it's got a freewheel or a cassette? At 7 speed, I thought for sure it was a freewheel, but after doing some research, I think it could be a cassette.

I'd like to not have to disassemble it to figure it out.
beaple

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Im not sure. More than likely a freewheel. A cassette would be a dead giveaway due to the spacer to make it work on a normal free hub.
Falkon45

Postby Rivel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Mine has an 8 speed freewheel.
Rivel

Return to Big Box Road Bikes