GMC Denali

Road bikes sold by bygbox stores.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

GMC Denali

Postby WebFootFreak » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:25 pm

My wife got me this for Christmas '13. I'm in the process of losing weight, was training for a triathlon, and really didn't care to race on a 40+lb Mountain Beast. In the time I've had it I've put about 1100 miles on it, run 3 sprint events, a 40-mile TDC fundraiser, and made a few changes.

I destroyed the bottom bracket, so I swapped in a sealed unit.
Since I had to swap the bottom bracket, why not the crankset? Now running a Suntour 170 x 53/39 double.
The 53 tooth big ring required a longer chain
When I called Kent to get the BB spec, they sent me a set of 700x25 tires.
Flipped the seat post and added a double bottle holder behind.
Dropped the flat pedals in flavor of an SPD set.
Changed the saddle for something with a little more padding (but I do wear tri shorts)
Also debadged the entire thing... I hate stickers

There are a few things I'd like to do still. Mainly along the lines of improving the drivetrain and ditching the bars for a single piece with aerobars. She's been a wonderful companion on my weight loss journey, and an unstoppable team mate during the events I've participated in. Still working on beefing up the motor, but I can generally hang on with the fast guys during our group ride (22+ mph).

Original:

Before swapping chain:
WebFootFreak

Re: GMC Denali

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Looks great! I so rarely see one of these with decent mods. A carbon fiber fork cuts a lot of weight off these bikes. Nashbar has a threaded one for a decent price. I did a threadless conversion in mine, and used a 1 1/8th to 1" shim to do it. I'm actually planning on going from 8 speed to 10 speed on my bike, with more Carbon parts. I still have all my original parts and willing to part ways with them for cheap of you want any of them.
Falkon45

Postby WebFootFreak » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:43 am

I may take you up on that. But it'll be a bit. I actually had a Felt Z100 drop in my lap this weekend so this beauty is going to be relegated to the backup role. Plus side is now I have something more than adequate if my primary fails, and I also have time to be pickier with the parts I get for her because she's not going anywhere. I really don't understand what the actual difference between threaded and unthreaded fork... But now I have time to learn. Of course, it just occurred to me that I can upgrade the drivetrain on the Z100 and move those parts to the Denali... This is going to be fun!
WebFootFreak

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:34 pm

Yessir! It gets addicting. I was only supposed to ride my roadie, just to see if I like it. Now I've just about done a frame up build! I did the 10 stuff to see if it would help me keep up with my brother/roommate. I actually need a smaller frame, so this may end up being returned to stock and a backup bike, or sold with all the mods. Not sure lol.

But yes, denalis with upgrades (and no twist shifters) are awesome. They won't be very light, but they are durable and ride well.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Also, if you look at my build thread, there's a picture that shows the difference between threaded and threadless.
Falkon45

Postby steveo314 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:57 am

Do you remember what the BB size is, WebFootFreak? I just bought a Denali and may be upgrading that first.
GMC Denali (orange/black,22.5)
-Shimano Claris group
-triple 8 speed
-Kona flarred drop bars
-Conti Gatorskins (700x28)
steveo314

Postby WebFootFreak » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:58 am

steveo314 wrote:Do you remember what the BB size is, WebFootFreak? I just bought a Denali and may be upgrading that first.

Sorry this took so long. If memory serves, I dropped in a 122.5 cartridge BB. My only real issue is that it is too wide for the crankset that I installed with it.
WebFootFreak

Return to Big Box Road Bikes