WalMart Fixed Gear $99

Road bikes sold by bygbox stores.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: WalMart Fixed Gear $99

Postby gregjones » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I haven't had a lot of time on the bike yet. Bad weather then the flu........ Out of the box it weighed 28.8 lbs---just using my bathroom scales. I replaced the front tire, bars, stem and seat with post and now have it down to 25.2 lbs. There is more fat to come off easy.

The bottom bracket was rough as it could be. It's apart right now......it looks like a wee bit of Vasoline is all the grease it got. It's a cup and cone style. The wheel bearings are rough as a cob, I've got another front wheel to use and am thinking about just running the rear as is for a bit until I get another. The wheels are HEAVY. The front wheel w/o tube or tire was over three pounds.

The WM description is wrong about tire size, both front and rear are 38mm. The chainring is 40 teetg and both rears are 18--no wonder it was so easy to pedal.

I'll have more to say after I get a bit more done to it. I haven't taken any pictures yet.....the atrocious decals have to come off first.
gregjones

Postby birdmove » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:58 pm

The Walmart in Hilo Hawaii now has quite a few of these. The cheaper model is at $117.00.
birdmove

Postby birdmove » Fri May 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Now the Hilo Wall Mart has them down to $90.00. Originally $117.00 here, higher than mainland due to shipping to Hawaii. At $90 I am thinking hard.
birdmove

Postby birdmove » Wed May 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Well, they lowered the price to $75, so I grabbed one. Adjusted seat, bars, levers to fit me, and took it for a ride. Both brakes squeal, so maybe 2 sets of better brakes? Don't have tools to remove the bottom bracket to check and lube.
birdmove

Postby Castle81 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:51 am

Better brake sets certainly wouldn't hurt. In the mean time make sure to "toe" your brake pads, and maybe take some very fine sandpaper and knock the gloss off the finish on the rim sidewalls. If i remember correct, the stock brakes on these are just stamped steel pieces. Those tend to flex quite a bit and loose adjustment pretty quick. Even the really inexpensive quality replacements will make you much happier about life in general.
Roadmaster Granite Peak - The experiment
Mongoose DXR 26" (steel) - Frankenzombike
Havoc FS 26" - Organ donor.
Castle81

Postby lincolnmercury » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Just received by Fedex the green Fixie. Ordered on Wednesday; arrived on Monday. Unboxed and hung the bike on the bike stand. EVERYTHING was TOO TIGHT. BB ball bearings had flat spots. Cleaned and regreased and set wheels, headset, and BB. Replaced BB bearings with loose bearings. Once brakes, seat and bars were adjusted and set, I took off for a "quick test ride". 19.8 miles and 1 hour and 25 minutes later (including stop lights) I returned exhilarated! The 72" ratio is a little low, but perfect without toe straps. I rode it to and from work today (6.17 miles according to my android gps) 20 minutes to and 25 minutes home... more traffic going home. Now; I am looking through 30 years of accumulated parts. Alloy stem and seat post; alloy "Suguino crankset"; campy pedals. With toe straps I can "track stand" @ lights; just like my college days in Tallahassee. Waiting for evening to cool to go for another ride! All in all, VERY happy, it would of cost $90 to put sew ups on my road bike (reynolds 531 double butted and lugged frame; Campy record group). I would have never guessed i could be happy with an entire bike that cost as much as a set of tires.
lincolnmercury

Postby birdmove » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Rode mine from Hilo Hawaii to my home about 12 miles away on a hot sunny day. This bike does well. It is certainly harder to get rolling from a stop, especially uphill, than a multi-speed bike, but I can deal with it. The simplicity of a single speed bike does have it's attractions. Haven't done anything with the squeaky brakes yet, but will.
birdmove

Postby Renaldow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:55 pm

After a few rides on mine, I'm really digging it. I loosened and greased the hubs and bottom bracket and adjusted the brakes. Very fun to ride. Kind of wish I'd bought this before I bought my Nishiki hybrid as I've been riding the $85 Greenie way more often. Very quick bike too.
Renaldow

Postby nevershoutchris » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Is there a big difference between the $99 and the $125 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thruster-700C ... y/21635145) Al Thruster? I'm going to order online.
nevershoutchris

Postby Renaldow » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 am

nevershoutchris wrote:Is there a big difference between the $99 and the $125 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thruster-700C ... y/21635145) Al Thruster? I'm going to order online.

Paintjobs aside... the wheel rims are different as are the frames. The $99ish one is steel framed, while this one claims to be aluminum.
Renaldow

PreviousNext

Return to Big Box Road Bikes