CL find, possible first bmx

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

CL find, possible first bmx

Postby garybbentley » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 am

http://evansville.craigslist.org/bik/3770994805.html

would this be functional for my first bmx bike even though I am 6'. It's super cheap will let me try bmx racing but im not sure if it will just be way too small. the owner says they don't know the frame size
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Re: CL find, possible first bmx

Postby garybbentley » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 pm

ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
garybbentley

Postby blammo585 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:38 pm

OK, this is an area I can advise in. I am also 6'0". The first is a 2002 Haro Cozmo. I remember this bike from years ago, and I looked it up and it is a chromoly frame. This was a street/ramp/flat bike, and it will be a heavy frame. Not the best for racing but you could get by with it especially for the price. Since it is a freestyle bike I will guess that the top tube length is around 20" to 20.5"; could be 19.75" but I doubt it. From a size standpoint I would say that it's probably longer than the other bike you posted; it's just going to be a lot heavier since it has 48's and 14mm axles. I'd flip that front load stem upside down to add a little height.

The 2nd Haro you posted is a pure racing bike. It even has some aluminum Bombshell forks that I'd say are probably worth some money themselves. Problem is if you look at the 2nd picture it says that it has a 19.75 top tube. That's pretty short. Most BMX bikes are referred to as Pro, Pro XL, Pro XXL. There are some XXXL but you have to pay a premium for those and even for XXL. That bike would be in the category as a Pro sized frame. Not ideal for a 6'0" person. My DK that I posted in the BMX section here is a Pro XL, and it is 21". These half inches and inches may not seem like a big deal but they do make a difference. The bikes with longer top tubes are going to have longer wheelbases too. If I were a smooth, veteran rider those aluminum forks wouldn't bother me. But since I'm trying to learn the tracks and learn how to take the jumps I know I am going to make some mistakes; the aluminum fork would concern me.

You have 2 imperfect choices at 2 pretty good prices. Neither will be quite big enough for you; with the one that you might could make do with being heavy and the one that would be really small being quite light. All these things being said, the prices don't look bad on either so I might be inclined to get either one despite their flaws. If I had to choose I'd go with the Cozmo even though the other Haro has better components; I just think the other one will be too short for you (and me).
blammo585

Postby garybbentley » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:00 pm

thanks so much, i think ill hold off until i find the right sized bike and pay the extra buck
garybbentley

Postby blammo585 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm

garybbentley wrote:thanks so much, i think ill hold off until i find the right sized bike and pay the extra buck

Definitely worth it if you're not concerned with buying the absolute cheapest and willing to spend a little more to get something that "fits". Although I would be interested to find out if those Bombshell forks are worth something. Aluminum forks of good quality aren't cheap.
blammo585

Postby garybbentley » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 pm

hrm, i have no clue... id pick it up if I could turn it for some cash or a bike more my size.

i'm in no rush, i currently rent a bike when i want to ride.
garybbentley

Return to BMX Bikes